I Could Have Danced All Night...

Who doesn't love a musical? In honour of National Dance Day, here are a few of my favourite dance scenes in old movies. 

Mein Herr - Cabaret (1972)

photoset gif film vintage cabaret Liza Minnelli mein herr lejazzhot •

A provocative, smokey nightclub dance that's athletic yet sultry at the same time. Plus, Liza Minnelli (who deservedly won the Oscar for Best Actress that year) sings the hell out of 'Mein Herr.' 



Basel Metabolism - Funny Face (1957)

Things audrey hepburn sunday GIF - Find on GIFER

This scene is so fun and kooky, and you can tell Audrey (who wanted to be a ballerina initially) had a blast filming it. 


Everything Old is New Again - All That Jazz (1979)

my sister eileen | Tumblr
via tumblr, source unknown

This routine looks like it was actually choreographed on the sly by the two characters, and I love the way in incorporates the whole apartment (side note: I love that neon sign being Ann Reinking). Plus, the song, by Peter Allen, is super catchy; and Ann Reinking is a dancing goddess. 


Bye Bye Life - All That Jazz (1979)

BlueisKewl: All That Jazz 1979

Would that the final moments of all of our lives be an elaborately staged, costumed, and choreographed routine featuring back-up dancers dressed as the central nervous system and an audience full of the most important people in our lives waiting for us to take that final bow... 


Dancing in the Dark - The Band Wagon (1953)

Love is Everything — freddie-my-love: Fred Astaire and Cyd ...

So elegant, so romantic. The intricacies of their movement seem so effortless when it's Cyd Charisse and Fred Astaire; I absolutely love the spins up the stairs at the end. So whimsical. 


Barn Dance - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

Seven Brides For Brothers Dance GIF - SevenBridesForBrothers Dance ...

Part comedy, part gymnastics, all fun. 


dfdsf

Oom Pah Pah - Oliver!

oom pah pah | Tumblr

'Oom Pah Pah' gets stuck in my head at least once every three months, and I can't just sing a part of the song, I have to go through the whole number. This is exactly the kind of spontaneous dance routine I'd love to break out into in a Victorian era underground pub. 


Who's Got the Pain? - Damn Yankees (1958)

damn yankees! | Tumblr
source unknown

Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon: two dancers who have the power to exhaust me when I haven't done anything except watch them in action. 


What are your favourite dance scenes in old movies? Let me know in the comments!

Comments