Blossoms in the Dust for Greer Garson's Birthday

It was Greer Garson's birthday on Tuesday!


I think my favourite thing about Greer Garson is that she used to sign her name in a bright red pen when she attended parties or functions with a guestbook, so you'd know that this grand dame was at your party. 

I decided that for Greer's birthday, given TCM did an all-day tribute for her, that I'd watch one of her movies that I'd never seen before. It just so happened, that with my schedule yesterday, that the film I ended up choosing was Blossoms in the Dust

Blossoms in the Dust was a biographical film about Edna Gladney, a Texas woman who helped find homes for orphans and fought to have the word 'illegitimate' removed from Texan birth certificates. It was one of the biggest money-makers for MGM that year, and marked the first pairing (of eight) for Greer and Walter Pidgeon. 

Overall, Blossoms in the Dust was a great showcase for Greer's strong screen presence and her elegant manner. She and Walter Pidgeon have magnetic chemistry together. I've read that this film really cemented her as a star of the '40s, and I'd have to agree. Watch this movie when you get the chance!

Comments