What I Watched in August

An overview of what I watched in August, outside of the one film each day I chose to watch for Summer Under the Stars. You can read my thoughts on the films I chose by viewing the Summer Under the Stars tag.

Hit the Deck (1955)

hit the deck | Tumblr
via Tumblr, source unknown

Fun, fun, fun! I've loved every pairing of Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds so far (and honestly, I'm loving Debbie Reynolds in general). 

Down to Earth (1947)

rita-hayworth-in-down-to-earth001 | MATTHEW'S ISLAND

I'm a sucker for the genre of classic films that involve some sort of goddess or mythological woman coming down to Earth to get involved in the lives of us mere mortals (see also: One Touch of Venus). Rita was so glamorous as Terpsichore, and, bonus, I know now how to correctly pronounce the name! (It's Terp-sick-er-ree, if you're curious.)

Gypsy (1962)

gypsy' (1962) | Tumblr
via tumblr, source unknown

I watched a lot of Natalie Wood's movies this month, and I really loved Gypsy. Plus, Rosalind Russell is always a gas, so it was fun to see her in this. 

The Great Race (1965)

Professor Fate - Daredevil Stunt #2 GIF | Gfycat

Overly long, but a farce from Blake Edwards start to finish. And listen, I could watch Jack Lemmon swan around forever chewing the scenery if need be, he's that good. 

On The Town (1949)

Nostalgic Solitude GIF | Gfycat

FINALLY, I've seen this musical. Finally. It was great. 

Kiss Me Kate (1953)

Kathryn Grayson and Howard Keel // Kiss Me Kate (1953) | Hollywood ...

I wanted to like Kiss Me Kate, and I did, for the song and dance numbers (especially Ann Miller's 'Too Darn Hot' routine), but I just couldn't get over the spanking scene. You ever watch a movie and a scene infuriates you so that it just takes you out of the experience? As soon as Howard Keel started spanking Kathryn Grayson in front of the audience I was done. 

We Were Dancing (1942)

Norma Shearer | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir
via tumgir

Melvyn Douglas + Norma Shearer + royalty storyline = movie that Jess loved. 

Sweet Charity (1969)

A guide to the campest moments in musicals | Movie News | SBS Movies

All I know is, box office bomb or not, I will forever stan Bob Fosse's choreography, Shirley MacLaine's '60s work, and the songs from Sweet Charity. I walked around for a day or so after I watched this (on Sammy Davis, Jr. Day) alternatively singing 'Hey Big Spender' or 'If They Could See Me Now' and sometimes just "fun, laughs, GOOD TIME!" over and over again.

More Than a Miracle (1967)

More Than a Miracle | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

I'm a sucker for the Cinderella storyline, and anything that's going to give me more chances to watch Sophia Loren and Omar Sharif in action? Sign me up!

Hard To Get (1938)


Oh Liv. A formulaic '30s comedy about a spoiled heiress brought down to earth by the humble working man she hates but eventually grows to love. 

Love With the Proper Stranger (1963)

Blind Spot 02: Love With The Proper Stranger, 1963 | Returning Videotapes

I loved Natalie's performance here; I'm glad she was Oscar-nominated for it (Patricia Neal won instead), it would've been nice if she'd won! 

Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971)

pretty maids all in a row gifs | WiffleGif

I watched this because I wanted to see more Rock Hudson movies, but...it's not one that I'll likely be revisiting anytime soon. Also, just want to add: '70s Rock Hudson is still handsome, in case you're wondering. 

ALSO WATCHED: 
Pal Joey (1957)
The Happy Thieves (1961)
Watch the Birdie (1950)
Cash McCall (1960)
The Doughgirls (1940)
This Property is Condemned (1966)
Captain Blood (1935)
Dodge City (1939)




Comments

  1. "Love with the Proper Stranger" is one of my favorites. I'm a huge McQueen fan, so that one's a must for me. I've never watched "The Great Race" because it looks so long, but I may make an exception for Jack Lemmon. That man is a genius. It's been at least a decade since I last watched "Captain Blood." I can't even remember if I liked it or not, isn't that sad?

    Also, I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Play if you wish! :)

    https://cabdriversandcoffeepots.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-sunshine-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment