Our Modern Maidens

Joan Crawford's long career is so fascinating to me. As one of the few silent era stars who successfully transitioned to, and dominated, the sound era, her career spanned decades, genres, and personas.

via tumblr, source unknown

I'm not normally a silent film fan, in that I don't usually seek them out and I don't particularly find them all that interesting (that could change in the future, though! Never say never, right?), but when I saw Our Modern Maidens on the TCM schedule, I immediately DVR'd it. 


Our Modern Maidens follows a young heiress, a very modern young heiress, as she tries to get her beau a prominent diplomatic position overseas at the Embassy in France. It involves heavy flirting with an established diplomat at the expense of spending time with her fiancé, played by Joan's real-life fiancé Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., who starts to fall in love with a soft, sweet young woman named Kentucky (played by Anita Page). 

Joan is definitely the star of this film, she carries it well, and although silent films rarely (if ever) hold my attention, I was so invested in how the story wrapped up that I couldn't have turned it off even if I wanted to. I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to watch more silent films, or who wants to learn more about Joan Crawford's career trajectory. 

I watched Our Dancing Daughters last year, and in the 'Our Daughters' series of silents, I only have Our Blushing Brides left to watch!

Comments