Audrey Hepburn A-Z: D is for...

D is for...Dogs!


Though she's famous for the cool cat-owning Holly Golightly, in real life, Audrey was a dog person. She loved dogs and always had them as her pets, and they traveled everywhere with her!

In Funny Face (above) her Yorkshire Terrier, Mr. Famous, makes a cameo in the train scene. Her love of dogs was so well-documented that it's even been speculated that she launched the Yorkshire Terrier trend amongst celebrities of the 1950s. 


Audrey and Mr. Famous were constant companions, and he regularly appeared on magazine covers with his human. Sadly though, while Audrey was filming The Children's Hour in 1961, Mr. Famous was run over by a car and died. Audrey, thoroughly devastated, was given a second Yorkshire Terrier from her husband, Mel, and named him Assam of Assam. Assam is a Sanskrit word meaning 'irregular' and the little dog was given the name by its breeder who noticed it had irregular eyes and ears. 

Audrey once said, "I walk with my dogs which keeps me fit. I talk to my dogs, which keeps me sane. I can’t think of anything that makes one happier than to cuddle and play and star the day with a warm puppy." 


Later in her life, Audrey and her partner Robbie Wolders, owned five Jack Russell Terriers at their home at La Paisible in Switzerland. Audrey referred to her dogs as her little hamburgers, and they were given run of the house. They feasted on a homemade mash of boiled rice, seared meet and softened carrots. 

One of her Jack Russell Terriers was named Penny. Another, Jessy. 

She once described her perfect day to an interviewer as: "It’s going to sound like a thumping bore, but my idea of heaven is [having] Robert and my two sons at home —I hate separations— and the dogs, a good movie, a wonderful meal and great television all coming together.  I’m really blissful when that happens."
___

Do you love dogs? I have one, a Terrier Poodle mix named Kasey. He's my world!

Come back soon for the letter E!


Comments