Summer Under the Stars: Audrey Hepburn

Star of the Day: Audrey Hepburn

I've already seen every movie that played for Audrey Hepburn Day, so in lieu of spotlighting one, here are my quick thoughts on every movie from yesterday: 

Wait Until Dark (1967)

The ending freaked me the eff out the first time I ever saw this movie (mainly because I'm a wimp who doesn't do modern horror films and therefore older horror movies, which are tamer in comparison, are scary to me). I love Audrey's performance in this, but I wish she'd been nominated for Two for the Road over this.

The Children's Hour (1961)

A powerful movie with a powerful message of how easily lives can be destroyed by lies; and why LGBTQ+ people should have always been allowed to live openly and freely. Its message has been tamed due to the era but Audrey and Shirley MacLaine approach their characters with such heartbreaking honesty. Also a very strong supporting cast in Miriam Hopkins, Fay Bainter, James Garner, and that little wretch who plays Mary. 

Green Mansions (1959)

Tell me you have to placate your husband's feelings by starring in his directorial effort even though you're the bigger name and you know this movie'll flop without telling me you have to placate your husband's feelings by starring in his directorial effort even though you're the bigger name and you know this movie'll flop.

The Unforgiven (1960)

The cinematography and production design are both very well done... if you can ignore that Audrey and Burt Lancaster are raised as siblings but the second they find out that they're not technically related they fall in love.

Two for the Road (1967)

This is my favourite of Audrey's performances. It's so different from anything she'd done up until that point and I love her for stepping out of her comfort zone and playing a character going through the throes of marriage that was perhaps too similar to how her real-life marriage to Mel Ferrer was ending at the time.

Paris When It Sizzles (1963)

This movie is pure nonsense but it works. I don't make the rules. 

Charade (1963)

I love how sophisticated Charade is; this movie was made for Audrey and Cary Grant. Everything about it works, from the mystery behind the whole story, their chemistry, the supporting cast, that Givenchy wardrobe, the Parisian setting... 

Roman Holiday (1953)

Would that every actress could get such a powerful starring vehicle their first time out the gate. Audrey is every inch a princess in this, and her impeccable chemistry with Gregory Peck? No wonder this is one of Hollywood's greatest romances. 

How to Steal a Million (1966)

This is my favourite Audrey Hepburn movie, bar none. There's not a frame that isn't perfect: the storyline; the heist; the chemistry between Audrey and Peter O'Toole; the banter; the Parisian setting; the supporting cast (especially Eli Wallach); the production design; the Givenchy wardrobe...the code word is definitely 'togetherness' on this one!

Love in the Afternoon (1957)

Not my favourite, if I'm being honest. I know we give a lot of flack to the May-December romances Audrey was a part of, but this one, with Gary Cooper just seems to be the most glaring. He looks like her grandfather here, and he seems almost...tired? Next to her? I don't know, I've just never believed that Ariane and Frank are in love. 

The Nun's Story (1959)

One of Audrey's best films. I wish she'd won the Oscar for this (Simone Signoret won instead, so it's not like she didn't get beat out by an inferior performance/performer or anything, but still). Audrey's family and friends once said that this was the Audrey they knew, that she was most like Sister Luke of all her characters. 

Comments

Archive

Show more