Summer Under the Stars: Vivien Leigh

Star of the Day: Vivien Leigh

The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) - "A fading stage star gets caught up in the decadent life of modern Rome when she hires a male companion."

I would watch Vivien Leigh read the complete Encyclopedia Britannica, which means, at the very least, I can watch her in a movie where she's inexplicably in love with Warren Beatty* when she could probably bag any man in Rome. 

Vivien Leigh was a singular talent who could act circles around most and do the most with very little, and I think one of my very favourite things about her is that this very British woman won two Oscars for playing Southern belles. 

*I'm trying to think of the modern equivalent of Warren Beatty, that actor who's very clearly and very obviously talented, once-in-a-generation style talent, shoots to the top of the box office and stays there, and who's good but I just can't with. I think it's Bradley Cooper? 

Comments

Archive

Show more