Summer Under the Stars: Elizabeth Taylor

Star of the Day: Elizabeth Taylor


Cynthia (1947) - "A sheltered girl uses music as a means of winning her independence."


gif by me

Elizabeth Taylor was a magnetic performer and I think she's too often overlooked these days for the tabloid fodder of how the Burton-Taylor scandal played out and then her later years; but if you watch her at her career best, you'll gain such an appreciation for her skill and sensitivity. No wonder she won two Oscars. 

I'd already seen most of the movies playing on Elizabeth's day, but it was a choice between Cynthia and a Lassie movie with a plot description that made it sound like Lassie was hurt and if it's one thing I won't watch, it's a sad dog movie, so Cynthia it was and man, I'm glad I chose it because this was so tender and heartfelt and I just loved it and Mary Astor (and I'm so glad that smug cousin got drenched by the punch bowl, she had it coming, honestly).

Comments

Archive

Show more