Audrey Hepburn A-Z: Q is for...

Q is for... Questions (and answers)!


Though she was incredibly reserved in public, when Audrey did give interviews, she was a great speaker who always had something important to say. And given her language proficiency, she could do it in English, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch. 

For today's entry, we're going to look at some of her interviews on YouTube, or in quotes from interviews. 

Here's Audrey's appearance on The Phil Donahue Show


In a recently shared interview with Life in 1992, Audrey spoke of her parents and early life, saying, "[My father leaving] was the first big blow I had as a child, it was a trauma that left a very big mark on me, it left me insecure for life. He disappeared one day, mother explained he had gone away on a trip and was not coming back. Mother wouldn’t stop crying, I would just try and be with her but as a child you can’t quite understand."

Here's Audrey's interview with Barbara Walters: 


In an interview with Marie Claire, Audrey spoke about her looks, saying, "I wanted to look like two people when I was younger: Elizabeth Taylor and Jean Simmons. I thought they were the two most beautiful women I’d ever seen and I still do. But I also wanted to be like Ingrid Bergman because she seemed so strong; I loved her freshness and openness. I would have been happy to look like any one of them. Because Ingrid was bigger, she gave me hope: it was comforting that people admired her even though she wasn’t a tiny, curl haired, delicate thing."

Here's a compilation of various interviews to showcase Audrey speaking five languages: 


In an interview with the Christian Science Monitor in 1992, Audrey spoke of how her acting career helped prepare her for her humanitarian career, saying, "My career sort of helped me get the job. As I have a bit of visibility; I can use that to go on television, or do an interview, or raise funds, or go to hundreds of galas. There is some interest in me because of my career, and I'm thrilled. That's sort of a bonus now which I can use for children." 
___ 

How many languages can you speak? I'm fluent in English and French and have been slowly learning Danish. 

Come back soon for the letter R!

Comments

Archive

Show more