What I Watched in July

An overview of what I watched in July. I was going to do a separate post on all the Elvis Presley movies I watched (since he was the Star of the Month) but... well, you'll see. 

Lady in a Cage (1963)


Poor Olivia de Havilland! This would be my worst nightmare, to be trapped in an elevator while robbers and hooligans ransack my apartment and threaten to kill me. 

Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)

I was riveted; Genevieve Bujold was amazing as Anne Boleyn, and I'll always happily watch Richard Burton. Plus, I love this era, so any stories set in Tudor times (or Wars of the Roses times, for that matter) are always a win in my book. 

Teacher's Pet (1958)

Because I'm a completist and wanted to see all of Doris Day's movies. I thought this was sophisticated but not what I'd imagined. I think I was expecting more of a Never Been Kissed/How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days mashup? It was still good, though!

Count Your Blessings (1959)


gif by me

I thought this was stylish and dramatic without ever veering too far off track (it's about a British woman and a French man who fall in love during the war, are separated for nine years because of it, and then reunite to find out they have differing ideas of parenting their child and what fidelity means), but their kid straight up sucks. He runs away, winds up on top of a tall statue and the movie ends without him getting down, and I like to think that they left him there. 

The Bride Goes Wild (1948)

gif by me

Enhh. They were both kind of insufferable characters, but I'm a sucker for a happy ending... 

Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding! (1967)


gif by me

I liked the plot, the characters and the concept, but I'm just...not a George Hamilton fan. He was literally the worst of the suitors for Sandra Dee (I personally would've chosen Dick, the next-door neighbour). 

Never Too Late (1965)


gif by me

Man, Edith's family sucked. She should've stayed away after she'd ran away... 

Finishing School (1934)


Another film on the quest to see all of Ginger Rogers's movies, and that's pretty much all I've got to say about this one.

Tall Story (1960)


Oh Jane... But this was her first film, and we know she was only going upward from here, so she gets a pass. 

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)


via tumblr, source unknown

This must've been a trip to watch in 1963 with all that stop-motion and whatnot. I have to confess that I found it boring, though... 

Double Trouble (1967)


Yawn. 

Harum Scarum (1965)

via tumblr, source unknown

Double yawn. 

Speedway (1968)


via tumblr, source unknown

Me reading the description: Well, at least Nancy Sinatra's in this one. 

(Discovery: Viva Las Vegas and Blue Hawaii were flukes...)

ALSO WATCHED: 

Wall of Noise (1963)
The Ambassador's Daughter (1956) - Before I sat down to watch it, the vague Eastlink description kind of led me to think that Olivia de Havilland and Myrna Loy would play rivals in Paris and that it'd be more of a comedy in that vein, but I did still enjoy this (of course, cause it's Olivia and Myrna) once I discovered the actual plot. 
Mary, Mary (1963)
Live a Little, Love a Little (1968)
Hotel Paradiso (1966)

Comments

Archive

Show more