Summer Under the Stars: Kim Novak

Star of the Day: Kim Novak

Kiss Me, Stupid (1964) - "Jealous piano teacher Orville Spooner sends his beautiful wife, Zelda, away for the night while he tries to sell a song to famous nightclub singer Dino, who is stranded in town."

I'm a big fan of Kim Novak, and I was so happy to see some favourites scheduled yesterday (like Bell, Book and Candle, Picnic, and The Man with the Golden Arm) and that my favourite Kim Novak movie, Boys' Night Out will be playing later this month on Tony Randall's Day. 

And of the movies I haven't seen before, so many sounded interesting that I wound up DVRing this, The Notorious Landlady and The Legend of Lylah Crane (I caught the trailer for it a few days ago on TCM and I was intrigued). 

As for Kiss Me, Stupid... guys, I think I have a new addition to my favourite movies list. It's a Billy Wilder comedy with fantastic performances by all of the leads: Kim, Dean Martin (playing a version of himself called Dino with a bunch of ace lines, like "That Sinatra kid go missing again?" when he comes to a road block), Ray Walston and Felicia Farr. It's a satire on Vegas crooners and fidelity, and though it was lambasted at the time, it's actually quite smart and funny. I'll need to buy this on DVD soon!  

Comments

Archive

Show more