Summer Under the Stars: Bette Davis

Star of the Day: Bette Davis


The Corn is Green (1945) - "A schoolteacher becomes the mentor of a talented young miner and seeks to get him into a university."


gif by me

I've seen most of the movies for Bette Davis's Day (Winter Meeting wasn't showing on TCM in Canada and Pocketful of Miracles is the other) so I settled in for The Corn is Green, which isn't the type of movie I usually go for (long slogs set in the 1800s), but I sat down to watch it because of my love for Bette. 

I wound up really liking this movie, even though it takes a while to get going (like any teacher-trying-to-teach-the-unteachable movie ever goes), mostly because of Bette's performance and the final hour melodrama that involves one of the most dislikeable characters I've ever seen on film (Bessie, whose actress garnered an Oscar nomination for her performance). 

If you're a fan of Bette, or of these '40s melodramas, I'd definitely recommend The Corn is Green

Comments

Archive

Show more