Summer Under the Stars: Debbie Reynolds

Star of the Day: Debbie Reynolds

I've seen all of Debbie Reynolds' movies, so instead of spotlighting one film, here are some brief thoughts on all the movies shown yesterday.

The Affairs of Dobie Gillis (1953)

This wasn't my favourite, but the best are yet to come!

Athena (1954)


gif by me

I absolutely love this zany musical. The songs are catchy, the premise is fun, and you can't go wrong with Debbie and Jane Powell together!

Susan Slept Here (1954)

The premise of this one is just... yikes. But the set design is spectacular

The Catered Affair (1956)


via tumblr, source unknown

More of a showcase for Bette Davis and Ernest Borgnine, but it proves that Debbie can more than hold her own against titans of Hollywood, and there's a poignant story to this film as well. 

Bundle of Joy (1956)


gif by me

Call me controversial, but I love this nearly as much as the original Bachelor Mother (starring Ginger Rogers). Debbie's so funny in this against a baby and a Baby (Eddie Fisher). 

The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)


gif by me

Should she have won an Oscar for The Unsinkable Molly Brown? It was a stacked deck that year, but damn she's great in this. This is what I said about this movie in an earlier post and I stand by it: "See all that scenery? No, you don't, because Debbie chewed it all. She was nominated for an Oscar for this movie and although I think Julie Andrews deserved her win, I can't help but imagine the chaos of a Debbie Reynolds Oscar speech." 

I Love Melvin (1953)

I challenge you to find someone who, if they don't love I Love Melvin, at least likes it a lot. It's so kooky and the story is fun (Donald O'Connor's a magazine photographer assistant who falls in love with a wannabe starlet and tells her he can get her on the cover of Look when, spoiler alert, he actually can't). 

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

A classic. What can I possibly add to the discourse at this point? 

The Tender Trap (1955)


via tumblr, source unknown

I enjoy this so much. Plus the title song is almost always playing in my head. 

The Mating Game (1959)


gif by me

Fun and wacky. 

It Started with a Kiss (1959)


gif by me

This is about a car. You might not have known that going in, and you might still be thinking to yourself, "Was that all about a car? Basically?" Yes. It's still fun though. 

The Gazebo (1960)

Whodunnit? Debbie's on the case! 

Mary Mary (1963)


gif by me

To quote an earlier post I made about Debbie's movies: "This is apparently a movie I watched but that I, in no way, recall. So do with that glowing recommendation what you will. " 

Comments

  1. Thank you for these, Jess. I realized that, as much I love Debbie Reynolds, I've seen precious few of her movies. Thanks to your mentions, I'm adding Bundle of Joy and I Love Melvin to my watchlist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Archive

Show more