Summer Under the Stars: Doris Day

Star of the Day: Doris Day

Pure sunshine, that's Doris Day. I'm so glad she got her own day because any reason to sit down and watch a bunch of Doris Day movies is a good reason. 

That being said, of course I've already seen every movie that was featured yesterday, so similar to what happened with Debbie Reynolds's turn earlier this month, here are quick thoughts on every film that aired on TCM yesterday. 

My Dream Is Yours (1949)

Yup, that's Bugs Bunny and Doris Day. Somehow Esther's water ballet with Tom and Jerry just worked better... 

Jumbo (1962)

I do love a good circus movie; and I do love Doris Day. 

End of list.

On Moonlight Bay (1951)

This is a fun family movie about Doris Day and Gordon McCrae in love at the turn of the century. It's very cute and the title song is so memorable. 

Tea for Two (1950)

I may not love the movie but I do love the premise: Doris can't say no to any request for two whole days. I'd win that money easily. 

Love Me or Leave Me (1955)


Doris had great chemistry with James Cagney, but that's about all I can say about this movie. I didn't really enjoy it.

The Winning Team (1952)


gif by me

Blows my mind that Ronald Reagan was a movie star. Like, legitimately. I don't get it. 

Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)


gif by me

I can't read this title without the theme song getting stuck in my head, so if I have to 'suffer' (it's not exactly suffering, cause this song is a bop), so do you. Here ya go:


Pillow Talk (1959)

I hope this movie's playing on repeat when I get to Heaven because God, I adore this movie. It's in my top three and honestly? Sometimes I think I might love it more than It Happened One Night

The story's perfect, the setting's perfect, the design's perfect, Tony Randall is perfect, and Doris and Rock are perfect.

Perfect perfect perfect.

Move Over, Darling (1963)

If I had to vote for my favourite Doris Day/James Garner comedy that came out in 1963, I'd probably choose The Thrill of It All, honestly, but God, this is also so funny. Doris plays a wife and mother who'd been missing and assumed dead, and James her husband. On the day she's declared legally dead and he remarries, she returns. 

(Yes, this is My Favorite Wife. There's even an excellent Irene Dunne joke in this.)

The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)

This one is a side-splitter. I absolutely love how zany Doris is in this spy farce comedy, where all the bigwigs at NASA think she's a Soviet spy, and once she realizes this, she goes out of her way to troll Rod Taylor and the rest. 

Perfect, no notes. 

Julie (1956)


gif by me

A suspenseful tale that ends with Doris flying an airplane. I think she does drama better than Julie, but it's still Doris, right?

The Tunnel of Love (1958)


gif by me

This is a miss from me, even though Doris is charming. In my opinion, the story isn't quite there. 


Comments

Archive

Show more