Summer Under the Stars: Gordon Macrae

Star of the Day: Gordon Macrae


The Desert Song (1953): "A French professor secretly leads a band of desert freedom fighters."


gif by me

I picked this one because it's one of the few Kathryn Grayson movies I haven't seen; by that metric, it didn't let me down. But also, this is just my personal hangup, I saw Carousel for the first time last year and was so thrown off by how not light and charming it was (how the hell did I go 35 years without knowing he's abusive, is dead for part of the musical, then when given the chance to go down and make things right, hits the daughter he never knew?!) and it really cast a shadow on my middling like for Gordon Macrae, which had been earned for those two bucolic Doris Day movies. 

Weird, eh? But what a voice he had!

Comments

Archive

Show more