31 Days of Oscars: I Want to Live!

Are there movies you remember watching for the first time and that memory just sticks with you?


source unknown

I Want to Live! is one of those movies for me. It was one of the last I needed to see to complete my Best Actress project, and then it was randomly on TCM in the middle of the night. Suffice it to say I was very tired in class the next day. 

There's something about Susan Hayward's performance that is mesmerizing to me. The execution scene terrified me, even though I knew it'd be sedate by '50s standards. I'd definitely recommend this, and other Susan Hayward films; I've yet to be disappointed by what I've seen. 

Nominations: Best Director (Robert Wise), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Susan Hayward), Best Screenplay Based on Material From Another Medium (Don Mankiewicz and Nelson Gidding from writings by Ed Montgomery and Barbara Graham), Best Sound (Gordon E. Sawyer), Best Cinematography –  Black-and-White (Lionel Lindon), Best Film Editing (William Hornbeck)

Won: Best Actress in a Leading Role

Comments

Archive

Show more