My Oscar Predictions

It's finally Oscar day!


For the second year in a row, never stepped foot in a movie theatre. I miss them so much. My province just lifted mask requirements and we're virtually done with restrictions (despite cases not really going down...) so fingers crossed by the time the next Oscars roll around, I'll have made up all this lost time. 

Does anyone else find these a very random assortment of movies and performances? The sheer number of Best Picture nominees that seem to have come out of nowhere; the fact that none of the Best Actress nominees starred in a Best Picture nominee... it all seems so jumbled when I look at the list, but overall, I had a great time watching these. 

So here are my Oscar predictions... 
Best Picture


Belfast
Coda
Don't Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

I so enjoyed Coda and Belfast. I think I'd rank those my top two. Don't Look Up was depressing and funny; I had no clue what was happening in Dune; and I think I'll need to watch Drive My Car once more to make sure I got the story, though it was very well done. I absolutely hated Licorice Pizza and Nightmare Alley; and while I did enjoy this update to West Side Story, I'm in no rush to re-watch it. King Richard was powerful, and The Power of the Dog was stunning visually, but can we pause the stories of cranky men doing things crankily while the supporting cast does all the work? 

Should Win: Coda or Belfast
Will Win: The Power of the Dog

Best Actress


Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter 
Pen̩lope Cruz РParallel Mothers
Nicole Kidman – Being the Ricardos
Kristen Stewart – Spencer 

If Jessica Chastain doesn't win, avoid me. I'll have such a hissy fit. This should be her Oscar. Not to say that Olivia Colman, Penélope Cruz or Nicole Kidman weren't fantastic, but this needs to go to Jessica Chastain. That said, if it does end up going to one of those three women, I can live with it. But Kristen Stewart cannot, under any circumstances, win for Spencer. It was awful on every level, and that's coming from someone who reports on the Royal Family and royal history regularly. 

Should Win: Jessica Chastain
Will Win: Jessica Chastain or Nicole Kidman

Best Actor


Javier Bardem – Being the Ricardos 
Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog 
Andrew Garfield – Tick, Tick... Boom!
Will Smith – King Richard 
Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of Macbeth

Nobody came close to Denzel Washington or Will Smith in this list of nominees, but it's going to Will Smith this year. It's time. 

Should Win: Will Smith
Will Win: Will Smith

Best Supporting Actress


Jessie Buckley – The Lost Daugher
Ariana DeBose – West Side Story
Judi Dench – Belfast
Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog
Aunjanue Ellis – King Richard 

The kitchen scene alone should cement Aunjanue Ellis's Oscar win, but I think this is going to go to Ariana DeBose. She's the perfect Anita. I'd love a Kirsten Dunst upset though, not going to lie. Jessie Buckley has been consistently great and I'm glad she's getting widespread love with this performance; I wouldn't argue against seeing her in more movies. Judi Dench was okay in Belfast but honestly, that was Caitriona Balfe's nomination. She makes the movie alongside Jamie Dornan. 

Should Win: Ariana DeBose or Aunjanue Ellis
Will Win: Ariana DeBose

Best Supporting Actor


Ciarán Hinds – Belfast
Troy Kotsur – Coda
Jesse Plemmons – The Power of the Dog
J.K. Simmons – Being the Ricardos
Kodi Smit-McPhee – The Power of the Dog

Just give it to Troy Kotsur and then give him as much time as he wants for an acceptance speech. I loved this. 

Should Win: Troy Kotsur
Will Win: Troy Kotsur

Comments

Archive

Show more