Inside Sweden (I'll Take Sweden)

I'm convinced Bob Hope's '60s films had some of the best set designs and no, I won't be taking questions at this time. 


gif by me
Today, on the 58th anniversary of its release, we're looking at the transatlantic homes and hotels featured in I'll Take Sweden. This comedy is about a widower, played by Bob Hope, trying to keep his lovestruck daughter, played by Tuesday Weld, from marrying a dope, played by Frankie Avalon.


She's a party animal and boy crazy, as evidenced by the first glimpses we get of the house in California. Here's the exterior... 


...and the interior. Love the green carpet and the pink curtains!


I'm a fan of that couch, too. 


Out on the patio there's a lot of greenery and some clownery in the background.


When Tuesday and Frankie announce their intentions to marry, they take Bob to their future marital home: a camper. 


I could never, but I applaud anyone who can live an unencumbered life like that. 


Bob decides to take a promotion that'll send him to Sweden, and brings his daughter along. They live in what Hollywood apparently decided Swedish houses look like: rustic and natural. That house looks very homey. 


It's full of flowers and there are two rotary telephones! You know how much I love a rotary phone...


The house is tastefully decorated in muted colours. 


By an interior decorator played by Dina Merrill. Love the orange and peach accents throughout. 


Here's another angle of the living room later in the film, with the fireplace visible. 


We don't see much of their Swedish house, but here's the entryway. And Tuesday Weld in a truly technicolorfully spectacular evening gown. 


The film's third act takes place in the Hotel Idyllen, where Bob and Dina, and Tuesday and her Swedish paramour (and Frankie and Tuesday's paramour's secret girlfriend), all get up to hijinks before the happily ever after. 


Moose!


Another muted hotel interior for Bob and Dina... 


...but Tuesday's room is more colourful. I need that bedspread! 


I also need Dina's sweater, to say nothing of the pink carpet in the hotel hallways. 

I won't spoil the movie for you, but it's fun fare, and perfect for a lazy Sunday morning. 

Comments