A Preview of TCM's Summer Under the Stars
You all know how much I love August!
That's right, it's time for Summer Under the Stars!
Here's your 2026 Summer Under the Stars lineup:
FIRST THINGS FIRST: WHO ARE THE STARS?
In order: Doris Day, Humphrey Bogart, June Allyson, Glenn Ford, Joan Bennett, Diane Keaton, Basil Rathbone, Steve McQueen, Gene Tierney, George Hamilton, Barbara Stanwyck, Groucho Marx, Susan Hayward, Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood, Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Robert Redford, Hattie McDaniel, Marlon Brando, Marie Windsor, John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn, Dana Andrews, Bonita Granville, James Stewart, Bette Davis, Brock Peters, Rita Hayworth, Joel McCrea, and Ava Gardner.
ANY FAVOURITE STARS HEADING INTO THE MONTH?
We're starting off on a high note with Doris Day! I'm also excited for celebrating Diane Keaton, who has gone too soon. I'm intrigued by Barbara Stanwyck, so I'm sure I'll tune in for a few films. And I fear the run of Susan Hayward-Jack Lemmon-Natalie Wood-Cary Grant-Rosalind Russell-Robert Redford may be a legendary streak.
I love Hattie McDaniel, so I'm excited for her day. Also looking forward to Katharine Hepburn Day, James Stewart Day, Bette Davis Day, Rita Hayworth Day and Ava Gardner Day!
WHO ARE NEW TO ME?
I'm sure I've seen at least one of her films, but Marie Windsor is a brand-new name to me. I've also seen Brock Peters in a few of his films, but he's a brand-new name as well. I recognize the name Bonita Granville and some of her films but not gonna lie: I was picturing a Margaret Rutherford–type, for some reason.
WHAT'S THE ONE DAY I WON'T MISS?
I definitely plan to park it on Doris Day...Day. And the stretch of Jack Lemmon to Robert Redford—especially Natalie Wood's primetime lineup—is one I don't plan to skip!
Also have plans for Katharine Hepburn Day, James Stewart Day, Bette Davis Day, and a mix of Rita Hayworth and Ava Gardner Days.
This is going to sound insane but maybe it'll click with at least one reader: George Hamilton terrified me as a kid. That tan, that smile... He was in a few movies I enjoyed that are playing on his day: Where the Boys Are (1960), Light in the Piazza (1962), and Jack of Diamonds (1967), but on his own... not a fan.
Also not really a Steve McQueen fan. He looks like he's always thinking 'I'm the best actor of all time' in every still, it's just a vibes thing that I can't shake. Brando at least has the stature but I'm so not a fan of his either. I'll have to grin and bear his day.
I may be a royal watcher but I hate 'The Duke'. Joel McCrea also has the screen presence of wallpaper, in my opinion, so I'm dreading his day as well.
ARE ANY OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIES PLAYING THIS MONTH?
I adore Romance on the High Seas (1948), which is playing as the very first film this month (Doris Day...Day). Lover Come Back (1961) is also a must-watch for me! Of course I adore a lot of the other films that are playing for Doris's Day, but those are the two I guarantee I'll be watching.
I remember enjoying Good News (1947) and Too Young to Kiss (1951), both of which are featured on June Allyson's Day; as is The Opposite Sex (1956), which is a campy, musical remake of The Women (1939). I do enjoy June Allyson in spite of her choice in (first) husband.
It Started With a Kiss (1959) and Gazebo (1960) are both films I enjoy on Glenn Ford's Day. I keep forgetting Basil Rathbone is in Bathing Beauty (1944) because what? But I wish they'd show Frenchman's Creek (1944) somewhere on that day! Love that film and I was a dolt who erased it from my DVR and haven't seen it since.
The aforementioned Where the Boys Are (1960), Light in the Piazza (1962), and Jack of Diamonds (1967) on George Hamilton's Day is a string I won't miss. I really enjoyed Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) on Barbara Stanwyck Day. I mean, is there a bad Marx Brothers movie? I doubt it.
Throw a dart and you'll hit a movie I enjoyed on Jack Lemmon Day, especially The Great Race (1965), Irma la Douce (1963), The Apartment (1960), Some Like It Hot (1959) and It Should Happen to You (1954).
Sex and the Single Girl (1964) and Penelope (1966) are two must-watches on Natalie Wood Day; My Favorite Wife (1940) and His Girl Friday (1940) are also two favourite Cary Grant films!
I plan to age into being an Auntie Mame–type so of course I'll be sat for Auntie Mame (1958) on Rosalind Russell Day!
Inside Daisy Clover (1965) is one of those weird movies that I like despite not feeling any particular attachment to it? When Natalie Wood's in the ADR booth singing 'The Circus is a Wacky World...How I Love It!' it gets stuck in my head every time. Anyway, it's showing on Robert Redford Day, so you know where I'll probably be...humming it.
Critics Choice (1963) is playing on Marie Windsor Day. I love the brand of cheese Bob Hope and Lucille Ball were spinning in the '60s, so this is right up my alley.
On Katharine Hepburn Day there's Stage Door (1937), Woman of the Year (1942), Bringing Up Baby (1938) (which we never get to see in Canada, so you better enjoy it on my behalf!), The Philadelphia Story (1940), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), and Morning Glory (1933). I may have to pull an all-nighter—and luckily for me, I have Bringing Up Baby on DVD, so I can pop that in if I don't like the Canadian schedule replacement.
An absolute must-watch for me is Vivacious Lady (1938), which plays on James Stewart Day. It's one of my top-tier classic films and I implore you to watch! Vertigo (1958) is obviously great, but don't miss Rear Window (1954) either!
Big fan of The Old Maid (1939), Jezebel (1938), Now, Voyager (1942) and All About Eve (1950); all of which are playing on Bette Davis Day. I'm appreciating the blend of early career and established star films for her day. There's such a breadth of work to comb through.
On Rita Hayworth Day, there's Susan and God (1940), which features perhaps my favourite dress in an Old Hollywood film. It's up there, anyway. There's also Cover Girl (1944) and You'll Never Get Rich (1941) on Rita Hayworth's Day. I wish Down to Earth (1947) was playing!
It's unfortunate that he's so dull (in my opinion) because he starred in some absolute bangers: Sullivan's Travels (1942), The Palm Beach Story (1942), and The More the Merrier (1943) are all playing on Joel McCrea Day.
How to Murder Your Wife (1965) and The Out-of-Towners (1970), both of which play on Jack Lemmon Day, have been on my Letterboxd watchlist forever, so I'm looking forward to that!
I've been meaning to watch Julius Caesar (1953) for forever. I have a very dim memory of Brando delivering Marc Antony's famous speech from watching a snippet in high school, but I haven't seen it in full. This seems like an easy way to scratch off a Brando film his day.
I, embarrassingly enough, have not seen Carmen Jones (1954), which is playing on Brock Peters Day, so that's going to be on my list.
Once again patiently waiting for Ray Milland Day!
And Claudette Colbert Day. And Catherine Deneuve Day.


Comments
Post a Comment