Summer Under the Stars: Bette Davis
Star of the Day: Bette Davis
Guess who has already seen all of the films featured on Bette Davis Day? This moi!
Instead of going through film by film with my thoughts on each, I'm going to choose the films I would have selected if I were a TCM programmer (and all the rights were in order to get these on the network):
Instead of Bureau of Missing Persons (1933) → Three on a Match (1932)
| via kino-ani |
Showcases her earlier talent and we get to see some more Pre-Code stars, like Joan Blondell, Ann Dvorak, and Warren William.
Keep Housewife (1934)
Bette Davis and George Brent were magnetic on screen together, and this is one of their earlier collaborations.
Keep Of Human Bondage (1934)
While I'm a Claudette Colbert purist who believes she deserved the Best Actress Oscar for It Happened One Night, Of Human Bondage and Bette's snub elevated her to a higher level both fame- and career-wise. It's a terrific performance, and more people should see it.
Instead of Satan Met a Lady (1936) → Fog Over Frisco (1934)
| via twittercomfrnklin2001-blog |
Fog Over Frisco was one of the earliest Bette Davis films I saw when I earnestly started watching more older movies. Before this, my checklist pretty much consisted of her greatest hits. Fog Over Frisco is a small part, but it's memorable and she's a delicious villain. Plus, the story is great!
Keep Jezebel (1938)
It won her an Oscar, for Chrissakes!
Keep The Old Maid (1939)
You know the rivalry I prefer? Bette vs Miriam Hopkins. They made terrific films together. If I'd been in charge, The Old Maid would have immediately been followed by Old Acquaintance.
Keep Now, Voyager (1942)
I'm not an imbecile, of course we're keeping this romantic classic!
Instead of Watch on the Rhine (1943) → All This, and Heaven Too (1940)
| via hellostarrynightblr |
If we need a romantic drama, let's go with All This, and Heaven Too. Bette's working overtime with the script material, and it's a riveting performance for 2.5 hours.
Keep All About Eve (1950)
Duh!
Instead of The Catered Affair (1956) → The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)
We needed more comedic performances; Bette was an exceptional dramatic actress but when she was allowed to be funny, God was she funny!
Instead of The Little Foxes (1941) → Dark Victory (1939)
| via hayworth-rita |
I saw this eons ago and it has stuck with me ever since. It's such a wonderfully melodramatic role, and Bette's magnificent.
Instead of The Star (1952) → Storm Center (1956)
There's an important message about censorship and restricting books, but also, you already had All About Eve on; why play the less superior The Star?
Keep Ex-Lady (1933)
It's a fun comedy!
___
What would you have programmed for Bette Davis Day if given the chance?

Comments
Post a Comment