Summer Under the Stars: Glenn Ford
Star of the Day: Glenn Ford
![]() |
| gif by me |
I did not choose this film for Glenn Ford, I'm only mildly ashamed to admit; I chose it for Melvyn Douglas. I would watch him read a phone book. I should search for how often I've used that phrase on this blog...
Anyway! There were a bunch of great Glenn Ford films playing yesterday, and when I saw that this was a '60s comedy that also featured Melvyn and Joan Blondell and Stella Stevens (an actress I discovered through Summer Under the Stars a few years ago and have since grown to enjoy), I was sold on this. It's a fine enough comedy about a ragtag band of misfits with a unique enough setting for this type'a story: the Civil War.
To speak to Glenn Ford's particular talent, he's commanding and cool in a way that Steve McQueen just doesn't hit for me. I'm not sure why I had to drag Steve into this to make my point. Either way; whenever I see Glenn Ford in a movie, I fully believe whatever he's doing on screen. It's kind of a shame he's not more widely known generally, his filmography is one of the better ones out there.
___
Log line from IMDb


Comments
Post a Comment