Summer Under the Stars: Hattie McDaniel
Star of the Day: Hattie McDaniel
Show Boat (1936): "Despite her mother's objections, the naive young daughter of a show boat captain is thrust into the limelight as the company's new leading lady."
![]() |
| gif by me |
Ugh, the blackface...
It feels almost embarrassing to admit that I'd never seen Show Boat, any iteration of it. I know the songs, of course. 'Ol' Man River' is a classic, and I was mildly surprised that I recognized a few others.
This film feels like a who's who of '30s Hollywood, and of course, one of the biggest stars was Hattie McDaniel. It's a shame that she was reduced to playing stereotypical roles, but the fact that her talent was rewarded with an Oscar (for Gone with the Wind) ensures that her name will never be forgotten.
When you consider the lineup of films TCM had for Hattie, you realize just how indelible of a mark she left on the film landscape.
___
Log line from IMDb


Comments
Post a Comment