Summer Under the Stars: Lana Turner

Star of the Day: Lana Turner

A Life of Her Own (1950) - An innocent small-town girl climbs to the top of the modeling business man by man.

lana turner | lana turner GIF 501 | Lana turner, Old hollywood ...
via mattsko

Could anybody do melodramatic better than Lana Turner? I doubt it. I've started reading her autobiography this summer, having known fairly minimal about her life outside the discovered-at-Schwabs and sordid-murder-of-gangster-boyfriend bits, and I get the sense that she was a capital-d Diva in all the best ways. She's certainly fascinating, and I enjoyed the films of hers I watched yesterday or have previously seen.

I chose A Life of Her Own, I'll be honest, because I saw Ray Milland listed as her co-star; but about an hour or so before the film started, I was on Twitter and saw that this was being recommended as a great film noir with a great cast and supporting players, and then I was truly intrigued. Overall, I really loved the film. It was noir, it was melodramatic, I loved the story and I thought it was greatly acted. 

The only other movie I ended up watching yesterday was Bachelor in Paradise, which is my aesthetic to a tee. I watched it recently when it was on TCM in June or July and fell immediately in love with it, so I couldn't resist watching again. I have previously seen Peyton Place, Madame X, The Bad and the Beautiful, and The Postman Always Rings Twice

Comments

Archive

Show more