Summer Under the Stars: Norma Shearer

Star of the Day: Norma Shearer


Her Cardboard Lover (1942) - A flirt tries to make her fiance jealous by hiring a gigolo.

her cardboard lover | Tumblr

When I first started learning more about the Golden Age of Hollywood, there was one actress who always stood out to me: Norma Shearer. Something about her glamour, her talent, and her poise made me take notice. 

The Divorcee is one of my favourite '30s films, and I love how liberated and unapologetic Norma's character is. She seemed equally adept at drama, classics and comedy; able to play Jerry and Juliet and Mrs. Stephen Haines. The Cardboard Lover was her final film, a cap to a long and storied career that saw her dominate both the silent and sound eras, win an Oscar, and become the Queen of MGM. Selfishly, I wish that she'd continued acting, but you can't fault the legacy she left behind. 

Comments

Archive

Show more