What I Watched in July

An overview of what I watched in July, or as I'm calling it, Ginger Rogers/Esther Williams Month. 

Ziegfeld Follies (1945)

Lucille Ball in Ziegfeld Follies (1945) - GIF on Imgur

I didn't think I'd be a fan of the episodic nature of Ziegfeld Follies, and, to be honest, I only watched for Esther Williams's water ballet, but I found myself really enjoying the numbers. I especially loved Lucille Ball's portion of the Here's to the Girls/Bring on the Wonderful Men sketch; the colours and design were flawless.  

Ziegfeld follies film esther williams GIF - Find on GIFER

I also, of course, loved Esther William's water ballet. 

Bachelor in Paradise (1961)

I'm in love with the mid century modern lovefest happening in this movie. The story was cute, the production design wonderful, and I want to move into Paradise Village circa 1961 like, last week. Who wants to help me pack?

Star of Midnight (1935)

Ginger Rogers And William Powell In Star Of Midnight GIF | Gfycat

The Thin Man-lite. 

Footlight Parade (1933)

BlueisKewl: Footlight Parade 1933

A charming backstage musical with stunning musical sequences staged by Busby Berkeley, including the human waterfall pictured above. 

Carefree (1938)

vintage carefree Ginger Rogers 1938 myedits;ps because I couldn't ...

I want that sweater, Ginger!

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)

story of vernon and irene castle 1939 | Tumblr
source unknown (link broken)

I liked this well enough, but then I read that the real Irene Castle and Ginger Rogers clashed during the filming and I'd really love to see that movie. 

On Moonlight Bay (1951)

On Moonlight Bay Tumblr posts - Tumbral.com

The only thing this movie did for me was put 'On Moonlight Bay' in my head and now I can't stop humming it. But, Doris Day was great, of course. This just wasn't a story I enjoyed. 

On An Island With You (1947)

On An Island With You | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

Fun and frothy!

The Whole Town's Talking (1935)

Trophy Unlocked: Stubs - The Whole Town's Talking (1935)

Wise-talking Jean Arthur and mild-mannered Edward G. Robinson (playing the gangster in a dual role where the plot centres around mistaken identity) combine to make a fun film!

ALSO WATCHED: 

Juke Girl (1942)
Chance at Heaven (1933)
Perfect Strangers (1950)
Fiesta (1947)
Pagan Love Song (1950)
It's Always Fair Weather (1955)
Hot Summer Night (1957)
Not With My Wife, You Don't! (1966)
Go Naked in the World (1961)
The Petrified Forest (1936)
Gunga Din (1939)
No More Ladies (1935)
Trapeze (1956)

Comments

  1. Hi! This is a sincere thank you and a reminder that the "We Love Lucy Blogathon" begins on August 6th. I look forward to your blog post! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Archive

Show more