Summer Under the Stars: Silvia Sidney

Star of the Day: Sylvia Sidney


Thirty Day Princess (1934) - Everything is not royal when a young American substitutes for a visiting princess confined with the mumps.

thirty day princess gifs | WiffleGif

Oh, this was such a charming movie! I'm a great admirer of The Duchess of Cambridge, the British Royal Family and all things royalty, so of course when Silvia Sidney's schedule was released, this was the movie I gravitated towards. 

It's the story of a Taronian Crown Princess who contracts the mumps while on a royal visit to the United States and an out-of-work New York actress, who looks exactly like her, who takes her place to help secure financial backing for her country. Along the way, she falls in love with skeptical newspaperman Cary Grant and has to keep her real identity from being revealed. 

I'll admit that I didn't know much about Silvia until her name popped up on the Summer Under the Stars schedule. I'd only seen her in two movies: Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams and Beetlejuice. But now that I know more about her, I'd love to explore her work!

Comments

Archive

Show more